bzr-svn on mac

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Thu Jul 26 18:27:47 BST 2007

bazaar-request at lists.canonical.com wrote:

> From: "Adam Mercer" <ramercer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: bzr-svn on mac
> To: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> On 26/07/07, Neil Martinsen-Burrell <nmb at wartburg.edu> wrote:
>
>> 3. Install subversion with patched python bindings (and appropriate
>> dependencies; patch linked from
>> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion), the recipe from
>> the BzrSvn wiki page works correctly (pasted here):
>>         $ wget \
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
>>         $ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
>>         $ cd subversion-1.4.3
>>         $ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch
>>         $ ./autogen.sh --release
>>         $ ./configure
>>         $ make
>>         $ make check-swig-py
>>         $ sudo make install install-swig-py
>> Note that you need to install neon and apr and apr-util separately, or
>> download subversion-deps-1.4.3.tar.bz2 as well.  --release on autogen.sh
>> make check-swig-py may fail if the bindings are not installed (I don't
>> think the subversion people have the  PYTHONPATH pieces worked out yet
>> for that.)
>>
>> 4. Install bzr 0.18 and BzrSvn 0.3.5 (the newest version worked much
>> better for me).
>
> Just tried followin these instruction sas I've been trying to get
> bzr-svn working on my mac for a while now.
>
> make check-swg-py fails with the following error:
>
> cd /Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python; \
>   /opt/local/bin/python
> /Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python/tests/run_all.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python/tests/run_all.py",
> line 18, in ?
>     import pool
>   File "/Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python/tests/pool.py",
> line 1, in ?
>     from svn.core import *
>   File "/Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python/svn/core.py",
> line 19, in ?
>     from libsvn.core import *
>   File "/Users/ram/opt/src/subversion-1.4.3/subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn/core.py",
> line 5, in ?
>     import _core
> ImportError: No module named _core
> make: *** [check-swig-py] Error 1
>
> I get the same error after installing the bindings with make install-swig-py

make check-swig-py has never worked for me.  Perhaps any subversion devs
who lurk around here will take a look at the testing framework for their
python bindings.

>> 5. Test with bzr plugins to see if it the plugin loads.
>
> Anyway, after installing the plugin I get the following error from bzr plugins
>
> [ram at skymoo plugins]$ bzr plugins
> Unable to load plugin 'bzr-svn' from '/Users/ram/.bazaar/plugins': It
> is not a valid python module name.
> /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins/launchpad
>         Launchpad.net integration plugin for Bazaar
> [ram at skymoo plugins]$
>
> if I name the bzr-svn plugin directory 'bzr-svn' and the following error:
>
> [ram at skymoo plugins]$ bzr plugins
> Unable to load plugin 'svn' from '/Users/ram/.bazaar/plugins'
> /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins/launchpad
>         Launchpad.net integration plugin for Bazaar
> [ram at skymoo plugins]$
>
> if I name it just 'svn'
>
> Any ideas how I can get this working?

the plugin directory name cannot have a "-" in it because it needs to be
a valid python module name. (Is this documented anywhere?)  I always
name mine svn.

The actual error that caused the plugin to fail loading will be listed
at the end of ~/.bzr.log.  Can you tell us what that file says, to give
more idea of what is going wrong?

-Neil

--
Neil Martinsen-Burrell