Req: Reset mtimes on reverts.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 26 18:07:40 BST 2007

On 7/25/07, Blake Winton <bwinton at latte.ca> wrote:

> > Since Make is more important for software development than PyBloxom, I
> > think it is unlikely that we will ever support reverting mtimes as
> > default behavior.
>
> That sounds fair.  I'ld be more than happy to have it as an option, or a
> patch that's only applied to my tree.

I'd be happy to have an option to use the committed time for revert,
update, and other things that build or update a tree.  I don't think
it's a high priority, but a clean and tested patch would be ok.

> >>  I think I can just call
> >> working_tree.get_file_mtime(file_id) to get the mtime of the checked in
> >> file, but I'm not sure if that would work for historical revisions. Does
> >> the mtime of checked in files get stored?
> > No.  Only the commit time is stored.  But RevisionTree.get_mtime will
> > provide the commit time.
>
> So, what would working_tree.get_file_mtime give me?

The mtime of the file on disk - setting it back to this time would be
a noop (except it would update the ctime).

Personally, I configure my editor to save backups, then use

  touch -r %~ %

to reset the current file's mtime to the time of its backup.  (Where %
is the filename.)

I think (I'm not sure) that svn does store the files' mtimes when you
commit, but this seems a bit wasteful because almost nobody uses them.

--
Martin