Doc review & quick ref card - anyone with some DTP skills?

Hendy Irawan hendy at rainbowpurple.com
Thu Jul 26 06:27:25 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>

>>> I rarely used ignore (the default list of ignores is usually enough),
>>> even more rarely used mv, never used check; bzr add comes up in one of
>>> the init use cases, but you are right, it probably should be listed on
>>> its own
>>>
>> ignore is probably not used very often, but I think it still deserves a
>> quickref. It is a fairly easy command to understand, and quickref is actually
>> more for the stuff you do infrequently, so that you can remember.
>>

> It's an interesting perspective - including things infrequently used.
> Part of me says "Absolutely!" and part of me says "No way because the
> full list of commands is too big".
>
> With respect to ignore, my leaning is to exclude the command because I
> never use it *ever*. If I want to add an ignore pattern, I probably want
> to add/edit a few so I always edit the config file. If we included a box
> on config files, would that be good enough in your opinion?

How about one of these:

   1. Marking "questionable" commands with a star (*), then describing
      elsewhere, probably in fineprint
   2. Marking questionable commands with "not recommended" or similar
   3. Putting questionable commands inside their own box

Probably good is also including commands provided by common bazaar
plugins , i.e. those provided by bzrtools, gtk, bzr-svn, etc. Newbies
may not notice that bazaar has abilities for those, and including those
on a quickref would be great. Of course implying that these commands
require installation of a plugin (documented elsewhere, with a URL or
something). Considering on most Linux distros (Ubuntu :-) installing
these bazaar plugins are very easy, that'd be great PR for bazaar :)

--
Hendy Irawan
www.hendyirawan.com