Doc review & quick ref card - anyone with some DTP skills?

John Yates jyates at netezza.com
Tue Jul 24 17:53:43 BST 2007

Sabin Iacob:

> also, some general use recipes would probably be nice (maybe
> "svn-style", "git-style", "whatever-style" next to each other? some
> usage patterns from the wiki?)

Ian Clatworthy:

> I'd like to see a separate quick reference card for Recipes. Many
> of the interesting recipes are likely to mention commands (init-repo)
> or details (http ok for pull but sftp for push, commit required after
> merge) that may not make it onto the Usage one.

Explaining to users of other systems how to recreate their current
workflow may generate a few converts.  Those already using a DVC (git,
mercurial, darcs, monotone, etc) will already have some sense of the
workflows in a distributed / disconnected environment.

But if you really want to recruit large numbers of cvs and svn users /
projects then helping those communities grok a new paradigm and guarding
against the growth of adoption horror stories caused by early missteps
will be crucial.  If a picture truly is worth a thousand words then I
think that attractive diagrams of various workflows will be invaluable.

So this is a vote for the recipes being presented pictorially.  I know
that such materials would help me in my evangelizing.

/john