Did you use another VCS tool before Bazaar?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 20 08:27:54 BST 2007

OK, that's a leading question and I expect 99% of us to answer "yes". :-)

#2 on my Bazaar doco review hit list is "Switcher Guides". After a Quick
Reference sheet, these documents are the most likely to be read. IMO,
they need to be short (2-4 pages) and to the point. No Fluff, Just
Stuff: Why Bazaar, repository migration, etc. can and should be covered
elsewhere.

We have 3 Wiki pages right now in this spirit:

* http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForCVSUsers
* http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForSVNUsers
* http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForGITUsers

The first 2 have a lot of useful general information which is common but
it ought to go elsewhere IMO. The third one is a few headings mostly
right now.

My feeling is that all the "Switcher Guides" should follow the same
broad template, namely something like
http://bazaar-vcs.org/IanClatworthy/BzrForXxxUsersTemplate. Does that
look ok to everyone?

In several months time, I'd like to see a dozen+ of these documents
covering all the popular tools. After all, 99% of future Bazaar users
already know a VC tool now. The easiest way we can get them productive
on Bazaar is a short document that *gets them going in the context of
what they already know*. From there, they can explore help, read bigger
docs, etc.

So, if you know another VCS tool whether that be CVS, SVN, Perforce,
Clearcase, StarTeam, Arch, Baz, Darcs, Git, Mercurial, Monotone, SVK,
whatever, and you can spare a few hours to help, please consider adding
a Wiki page with the "Just Stuff" content I'm after. I'm happy to fix
grammar if required, format it nicely, get it reviewed and merged into
bzr.dev in coming months. But your expertise and knowledge of other
tools is needed to get some raw content together first, particularly in
terms of the key things users of those tools will be use to.

If you can help, whether that be providing content or reviewing it once
it's there, let me know. We only need a few of these Switcher Guides
completed for 1.0 but draft content along these lines for any tool can
only help make it easier for people to adopt Bazaar.

Thanks,
Ian C.