New voting system

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jul 17 16:41:02 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been chatting with some of the core devs about how to improve our
> workflow, and it's come out that the voting scheme we're using doesn't
> quite fit our desires.
>
> I'll be working on implementing a new voting scheme for BB in the near
> future, and this is the current plan.  We're going to be using words
> rather than numbers.
>
> approve: The voter approves this submission to be merged (like +1)
> tweak: The voter wants minor changes made, and then the submission can
>        be merged without re-review. (like +1 conditional)
> resubmit: The voter wants changes made, and the revised submission will
>           be re-reviewed.  This removes the submission from the
>           "Pending" list. (new)
> reject: The voter does not want this patch merged at all.  This removes
>         the submission from the "Pending" list. (like -1)
> abstain: The voter does not want to vote on this patch (new)
> comment: The voter wants to make a comment on this patch (new)
>
> As before, two approves/tweaks will be needed to merge something, but
> only one reject or resubmit is needed to take it out of the "Pending" list.
>
> I hope that this will align better with the way we want to work.
>
> Aaron

+1.... oh I mean 'tweak' :)

Actually, my big comment is that we lose the +0,-0 comments. They
weren't exactly clear what we were trying to say, but having a way to say:

  I don't like this implementation, but if other people are okay with
it, I'll acquiesce.

I guess my point is that I would tend to use "resubmit" as +0, but that
removes it from the pending queue. Rather than giving someone else an
opportunity to review it.

What I would like is to have a way to give a slight rating on a patch.
Then after it has had some time for other people to look at it, come
back and call 'resubmit'.

I suppose we could use 'comment' for that. I can put a comment on it
now, and come back later for an approve/tweak versus reject/resubmit.

I guess all I really want is a 'resubmit' that doesn't take it out of
the queue.