[RFC] how to correctly translate "checkout"?

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Fri May 11 11:46:35 BST 2007

Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> writes:

>> SVN book in Russian translations call checkouts as "working copy".
>> It's very far from bzr checkouts. I understand what is checkout in
>> bzr, because I use them a lot, but I have a troubles to articulate
>> this term in Russian.
>
> I think a working copy is a pretty good description.

I think it is.

"light checkouts" in bzr are really the equivalent of svn's checkout.
The set of files you're working on, plus the minimal meta-data.

"heavyweight checkout", although very different in the implementation,
are not far from this in the user-interface. If you see the local
.bzr/{branch,repository} as a cache of the remote equivalent, the
use-cases are the same.

--
Matthieu