[RFC] Bazaar internationalization (i18n)

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Fri May 4 08:34:37 BST 2007

Hi again,

Martin Pool escribió:
> On 4/26/07, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dennis Benzinger пишет:
>>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:07:45 +0300
>>> Von: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
>>> An: Tobias Toedter <t.toedter at gmx.net>
>>> CC: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>>> Betreff: Re: [RFC] Bazaar internationalization (i18n)

>>> Rosetta makes it possible to translate the po files using a simple web
>>> interface. The most important benefit of this interface is that it
>>> automatically suggest translations based on existing translation from other
>>> projects. So you can benefit from already translated projects.
>>>
>>> See https://translations.launchpad.net/+about and follow the Tour and FAQ
>>> links on top of the page.
>> OK. Thanks to Martin my pot for bzr-config is now at launchpad.
>> Last night I'm playing a bit with Rosetta.
>>
>> It looks superior until all you want -- to work with launchpad via web interface.
>> It could reduce translation work, because for many short words it proposes
>> variants from other projects. It's great idea.
>>
>> But in general it's useful only for GUI interfaces, where big part of messages
>> is short words (menu names etc.). Because for all too detailed and project-specific things
>> you need to translate them yourself anyway.
>>
>> The worst part of Rosetta for me is the process of import ready *.po file.
>> I've upload my ru.po for bzr-config, but I have no idea when it will be
>> imported. Because looking at the page with import queue I see in the beginning
>> of the list request maiden in January.
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/translations/imports?target=products&status=NEEDS_REVIEW&type=po
>>
>> And my request has #66. So probably in the August it will be finally imported.

We are working on improve the import queue handling and displaying to
clarify it a bit more. There are some entries in NEEDS_REVIEW that
require manual review by an admin, but there are others, like your ru.po
that are approved automatically by the system.

We are adding per project/distribution import queue so you are not
affected by other imports from other projects.

>> My conclusion after first sight:
>>
>> - - Rosetta is great tool for collaboration and standardized GUI interfaces
>> - - But it do good works only in one way (export po-file from launchpad to users), but not
>> in opposite way (import po/pot from user to launchpad).

The situation is not as bad as you can think seeing current import queue
and I hope that once we finish the UI changes you agree with me on it.

>> May be I'm wrong.
>>
>> On the other hand we already have another form of collaboration: distributed version
>> control system named Bazaar. And we certainly could keep translations in some dedicated branch.
>> For the translations maiden with Rosetta we then simply periodically sync it in our tree.
>
> I'm not sure. I'm going to crosspost this to launchpad-users in the
> hope someone there will answer.

Please, if current workflow is not good enough, give us a chance to
improve it for you filing bugs on https://bugs.launchpad.net/rosetta so
we have a chance to improve it.

Cheers.

- --