[RFC] Remove bzrlib.branch.BzrBranchExperimental

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 16 04:11:45 BST 2007

On 4/16/07, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> After the recent review where John got confused by
> BzrBranchExperimental's difference to the other branch/branch formats, I
> had a poke around and its not used anywhere nor does it have new
> features. I've chatted with Martin and hes ok with it being removed.
>
> Its intended to be part of a cleanup of how the Branch/BranchFormat
> stuff works, but its currently incomplete, and crucially, not finished
> nor ready as a base for folk to move forward on. I propose we remove it
> until a fuller cleanup is done, where the code layout can stay
> internally consistent.

As Robert said, I don't mind removing it.

Briefly, the thing I wanted to clean up is that at the moment we use
Format classes, Format instances, Branch classes and Branch instances
at different places, and this seems a bit redundant.  BranchFormat
instances are generally stateless and more or less factories for
getting Branches, and seem 1:1 with Branch classes, so why not just
fuse them?

--
Martin