Bazaar Developer Guide (Proposed)

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Thu Apr 12 01:50:51 BST 2007

On 4/12/07, Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> > Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> the various Wiki pages covering related material into this. A first cut
> >> at a Table of Contents can be found here:
> >> http://bazaar-vcs.org/IanClatworthy/ProposedBazaarDeveloperGuide.
> >>

> > Having a "Using the Bazaar API" section would be valuable, but it does not
> > belong here.  The audience for an API guide is broader than just people working
> > on bzr proper, as it includes plugin authors and other users of bzrlib.  I'd
> > love to see it written, and linked from the Developer Guide (whatever form it
> > takes).  The Bazaar Developer Guide is about project policy and recommended ways
> > to work with the bzr code; an API guide is much more broadly applicable, so
> > deserves better visibility than being buried inside this guide.
> >

> Andrew,
>
> The idea was to make the Dev Guide a one stop shop for all developers,
> including those people writing plug-ins and 3rd-party tools. The latter
> groups don't need to follow everything we do w.r.t. policies but it
> doesn't hurt for them to be aware of them.

I think it would be better to have the API guide in a separate
document. Many third-party developers would look at the first part of
the table of contents there and quickly decide that the document is
not for them.

Even though it doesn't hurt third-party devs to know about Bazaar's
policies, it probably doesn't help much either.

cheers,
jml