What's up with plugins and 0.15?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Apr 4 20:19:29 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:

>>> Not all of them care what their specific name is. So you can just use
>>> "tags" or "update_mirrors".
>
>> All of these are things are branches made from their homes.
>> Renaming my directories made all the complaints go away,
>> so indeed none of the ones I have cared about the name.
>
> Actually, recent versions of bzr-gtk require that it be named gtk.
>
>> Seems a little obscure, though (and now I have to learn
>> new "spellings" for a few things I've been using for ages).
>
> No command names are affected, so you shouldn't need to use the new
> names very often.
>
>> I'm expecting people will go to the plugins page, do the
>> branch using the link provided, and then get funky errors.
>> Should plugin authors be renaming stuff now?
>
> I think they should.
>
> Aaron

Well, there is a small impedance mismatch. In that Launchpad doesn't
allow the use of '_'. And we can't use '-' or '.' in python identifiers.

There is also the fact that you wouldn't usually name the trunk/mainline
as the project name. (for example
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bzr/bzr-cvsps-import/trunk
)

Because of this, the recommended way of branching is to always supply a
target name. Otherwise you would end up with 10 'trunk' projects.