'bzr: ERROR: Not a branch' on existing local branch. Can I repair it?

Stevens, Ian IStevens at globeandmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:59:36 BST 2007

> > Both branches which give the error contain only the lock/ dir and a
> > revision-history file.  The ones which work contain those files as
well
> > as branch-name, format and parent files.
> If you are sure that is the only difference, you can just copy the
> 'format' file from another directory. 'branch-name' and 'parent'
should
> be optional.

I just tried that and get the same error with the same output in the
log.  Writing to branch-name doesn't have any effect as you would
expect.

> But what concerns me is why something would be deleting your 'format'
> files.
> Could it be an overzealous virus scanner? (I would assume it would
> delete all the other ones, to). Or maybe a recursive delete gone
wrong?
> (find . -name format | xargs rm). I realize you wouldn't use 'find' on
> Windows.

I have cygwin installed but I'm quite careful with my use of rm, and it
would be odd that I would execute such a command that would delete some
dirs in .bzr but leave others intact.

Symantec Antivirus is on my machine, and it would be strange if it
deleted files in those two branches, but not others.

My repo resides on a shared drive and my dir on that drive has strict
quota limits.  I'm not sure if it was last week but I moved some large
files to that dir not knowing this and got a complaint ... not sure if
the quota management would arbitrarily delete files or not.  I suppose
it's possible that I was using bzr at the time, but I don't think so.  I
have a feeling that was later than last week, though.

Ian.