'bzr: ERROR: Not a branch' on existing local branch. Can I repair it?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Mar 28 21:44:27 BST 2007

Stevens, Ian wrote:
>> Can you give the output from "My Documents\.bzr.log" after running a
>> command?
>
> bzr arguments: [u'diff']
> looking for plugins in c:\Program
> Files\Bazaar\lib\library.zip\bzrlib\plugins
> looking for plugins in C:/Documents and Settings/istevens/Application
> Data/bazaar/2.0/plugins
> Looking for plugins in 'c:\\Program
> Files\\Bazaar\\lib\\library.zip\\bzrlib\\plugins'
> Names in archive: ['__init__.pyc', 'launchpad/__init__.pyc',
> 'launchpad/lp_registration.pyc', 'launc
> hpad/test_register.pyc']
> Load plugin launchpad from zip 'c:\\Program
> Files\\Bazaar\\lib\\library.zip\\bzrlib\\plugins'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 650, in run_bzr_catch_errors
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 612, in run_bzr
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 304, in run_argv_aliases
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 622, in ignore_pipe
>   File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 1235, in run
>   File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 85, in internal_tree_files
>   File "bzrlib\workingtree.pyc", line 348, in open_containing
>   File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 530, in open_containing
>   File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 558, in open_containing_from_transport
> NotBranchError: Not a branch: C:/Documents and
> Settings/istevens/dev/ticker/trunk/
> return code 3
>
>> Have you used a newer bzr at all (0.15?).
>
> No, only 0.14.0.
>
>> Also, can you tell us what files exist in .bzr\branch ?
>
> Both branches which give the error contain only the lock/ dir and a
> revision-history file.  The ones which work contain those files as well
> as branch-name, format and parent files.
>
> Ian.

If you are sure that is the only difference, you can just copy the
'format' file from another directory. 'branch-name' and 'parent' should
be optional.

But what concerns me is why something would be deleting your 'format' files.

Could it be an overzealous virus scanner? (I would assume it would
delete all the other ones, to). Or maybe a recursive delete gone wrong?
(find . -name format | xargs rm). I realize you wouldn't use 'find' on
Windows.

the .bzr/branch/format file isn't something we change often. I'm pretty
sure we write it at 'init' or 'branch' time, but then only read it from
then on.