sydney mini-sprint, kickstarting 0.16, roadmap for 0.16

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:45:51 BST 2007

hi

On 3/28/07, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > As a very first step we were just going to bundle up the whole remote
> > repository using python's zip or tar libraries and send it across.
> > Crude, but should help with the basic case.
>
> This is like how they say no Internet connection approaches the
> bandwidth of a 747 loaded with DVDs :-).
>
> You're not worried about shipping excess data, then?

Well I think it should be much better than we have now,
where it takes quite a while to branch bzd.dev and
there is no regular snapshots with the repository in AFAIK which could be
dowloaded.

I remember when I did it, it took about a week,
(hay here in Africa we don't have as much bandwidth
as the Europeans take for granted.
Aaron you're joking, but someone did a comparison and figured out:
"it's cheaper to fly to Hong Kong and download 100GB of data and put it onto
DVD than to download it using ADSL in South Africa"
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleId=256509&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__business/
)

This will at least remove the manual effort of making
repository snapshots, downloading, extracting.
Which will be very sweet.
But I agree that we should avoid shipping excess data.

regards
marius