Launchpad Bugs feature

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Wed Mar 28 04:33:34 BST 2007

On 3/28/07, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm at the Bzr mini-sprint in Sydney working on a feature to allow
>
> "Bazaar" :-)
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/Branding

Oops. I meant to say "Bazaar", honest, I became temporarily blind to
the letter 'a'.

> > To indicate that a revision fixes a bug:
> >     * bzr commit --fixes=62789
>
> That looks good.  You should be able to repeat the option.

Definitely.

> It's worth mentioning that people might like to scan for patterns in
> the freeform commit message mentioning a bug.  We're not excluding
> that, but taking the data in a structured form is simpler to do at
> first.

Right.

> > The bug number perhaps should be qualified to indicate that it refers
> > explicitly to a Launchpad bug, for example:
> >     * bzr commit --fixes=lp:62789
> >
> > (This lets us use the same option to fix Debian bugs and so forth).

The more I think about this, the more I'd prefer that we always use
'lp:NNNN' to refer to Launchpad bugs. Is there a sane way to set a
per-project default?

> > And also perhaps to set the status to something other than 'fixed'
> > (e.g. 'in progress')
> >     * bzr commit --fixing=lp:62789
> >

> > At the moment, I'm planning on including each bug as a revision
> > property which maps 'lp:<bug_id>' to '<status>', where status is
> > "fixed" (at least for the first iteration).
>
> It seems a little odd that this will proliferate options for every
> different status.  Maybe you could have
>
>   commit --bug 123:fixed --bug 324:fixing
>
> Not sure.

I'm not sure either. I think that the UI should be optimized for the
most common use, which is 'this revision fixes a bug'. Typing '--bug
NNN:fixed' seems a little cumbersome. I guess keeping the option
namespace clean is also important for usability.

jml