[bundle buggy] Bundle downloads have DOS line endings?

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Tue Mar 27 03:28:57 BST 2007

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 21:48 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
[...]
> > This is a GIGO issue.  Robert is using Evolution, which forcibly
> > translates his bundles into DOS format.  In the general case, it's not
> > valid to convert bundles from DOS to UNIX (there may be legitimate CRLFs
> > in a bundle), so bzrlib does not do that.  Perhaps BundleBuggy could,
> > but it doesn't right now.
>
> But other users have said that taking my patches from the mails I send
> out works just fine.

I can confirm this.  Robert's email for some reason transmits the bundle in base64
encoding, and that base64 content when decoded has DOS line endings.

However the mimetype of that content is declared as "text/x-patch", so I guess
the questions here are:

  * are MUAs supposed to convent text/* attachments to native line endings?  It
    appears my mutt does this with Robert's attachment.
  * given that bundles are a "text" format, shouldn't the line endings not break
    the format?

-Andrew.