Problem diffing 2 branches

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Mar 26 20:54:10 BST 2007

Jean-François Veillette wrote:
> Here some additional contextual informations :
> - the first « root » branch (identified by
> /Developement/WebObjects/Wonder/Ajax/Ajax) is a fresh cvs checkout.
> - my current branch (identified by . ) is where I do my own modifications.
>
> In my current branch (.) I made a couple of changes, some of which I
> would like to push back to the original localtion in order to eventually
> commit to cvs.
>
> That pop-up a question ... I would like to cherry-pick my changes and
> only push some of them to the root branch, how can I do that ?

If they are both bzr branches (I assume they are), then you can use "bzr
merge -r X..Y" to select just some changes to merge. The syntax is
"FROM..TO", such that you are merging the changes between the revisions.

So if revision 9 is from the original CVS, and then 10 is a personal
patch, and then 11, 12, 13 are changes you want to merge back, I would do:

$ cd $CVSBRANCH
$ cvs update
$ bzr commit -m "Update from CVS"
# Always do the update and commit first, so that your changes don't get
# mixed with any CVS changes.
$ bzr merge -r 10..13 $PERSONALBRANCH
# Review the changes, fix any conflicts, etc
$ bzr commit -m "[cherrypick] changes for X, Y and Z"
$ cvs commit -m "changes for X, Y, and Z"

This is what I used to do when I was tracking an upstream CVS and my own
branch. But it requires having CVS commit rights. If you *don't*, then I
would suggest having 1 more branch, which is 'submit to upstream'.
Because the CVS branch should always track exactly what is in CVS, so
things don't get confused.

> Le 07-03-26 à 14:13, John Arbash Meinel a écrit :
>
>> Jean-François Veillette wrote:
>>> 13:53:32: bzr diff .  ~/Developement/WebObjects/Wonder/Ajax/Ajax/
>>> === modified file 'Components/AjaxAutoComplete.api'
>>> bzr: ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
>>> '/Users/jfv/Developement/BiblioChamplain/Tamia2/DependancesExternes/Ajax/Components/AjaxAutoComplete.api'

^-- Hmm. Did if you do 'bzr status' in '.' does it give you "=== renamed

We could certainly have a limitation in the diff across branches code.
But if 'bzr diff -r -3' works in the directory you renamed the file, I
would expect the diff between branches to work.