Implement our ExtendBzrTestSuite as per the spec.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Mar 22 20:30:21 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 15:24 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Well, not -quite- as per the spec, our test environment has mutated
> > since the spec was written. But pretty close anyhow.
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> You forgot to describe whether this is "RFC" or "MERGE".
[MERGE] :)

> And to summarize, this allows us to have tests fail for "platform
> deficiencies" (like no symlink support), or for "known failures" (things
> that we may not support on all platforms, or test cases that we want to
> pass in the future, but don't have working yet).
>
> My only concern for the missing feature support (_test_needs_features),
> is that it is set at the class level.  All it really means is that we
> have to split our current test classes into regular ones, and ones that
> require specific features.

I thought about this on the way to bed last night actually:) We can
trivially add support for doing it both ways:
self.requireFeature(feature) -> raises FeatureNotPresent(feature), catch
that in addError and call addNotSupported(test, err[1]) from there.

> It is a little bit easier in the tests to just raise NeedsSymlinks, or
> something like that. (I see it as a bigger issue when we have multiple
> things, like maybe a test NeedsParamiko and NeedsSymlinks, or something,
> but we can just use another TestCase for that).
>
> I do really like how you report what features were missing, and how many
> tests were skipped as a result.
>
> So overall, +1. I just had a minor comment about doing it in a different
> way.

I'll post an update shortly doing it both ways.

Rob