Eclipse Support

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Mar 12 22:50:13 GMT 2007

Guillermo Gonzalez wrote:

>> I know you have it marked as "Experimental", but I went ahead and
>> created a ~bzr/bzr-eclipse/trunk branch. You are certainly welcome to
>> modify that to whatever you are happy with. It just makes it easy to track.
>
> I assume it's experimental, because I'm starting a new line of development
> with some ideas/code from the eclipse plugin for darcs, which (in my opinion)
> look's quite well.

Certainly. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

>> Also, I enabled the Launchpad bug tracker for the project. If you have a
>> problem with any of these things, I'm happy to disable them. I just
>> figured you didn't realize it was available, so figured I could help you
>> out by setting them up.
>
> I d'nt have any problem with this, actually, I've been digging in the
> launchpad  documentation to do it, but did'nt really understand how to do
> this, thanks!.

Yeah. I haven't seen specific LP docs, but just had a lot of experience.
And there are a few pages that you need to visit to get everything
working correctly. I should probably blog about my specific settings, in
case other people want to follow them.

>> Also, I'm not positive about the naming. We've generally followed the
>> 'bzr-foo' name for a plugin named 'foo' which is a plugin for bzr.
>>
>> However this is a plugin for Eclipse. So maybe it should be
>> 'eclipse-bzr'. Also, I named it Bazaar Eclipse Plugin. But you could
>> also name it Eclipse Plugin for Bazaar. (English doesn't seem precise
>> enough to indicate whether it is a bzr plugin to support Eclipse, or an
>> Eclipse plugin to support Bazaar).
>>
>> You can change the title easily through this page:
>> https://launchpad.net/bzr-eclipse/+edit
>>
>> To change the project name (bzr-eclipse) I think we have to ask a
>> Launchpad admin. But I can do that if you want.
>
> About the project name, eclipse-bzr looks ok, and bzr-eclipse it's ok too.
> I'm open to change it (and the java package naming too).
> Maybe the bazaar dev and user community has some good ideas/comment's about
> this.
> We can discuss about it in #bzr. what do you think?

Always a good place for discussion.

> Now, I really apreciate some links/help about how to work with launchpad and
> the project.
>
> 1) how do you work with feature request/enhancements or ToDo's?
>  1.1) I've used Trac, and usually create a ticket for each deature
> request/enhancements. Is the same in launchpad?
>  1.2) where can I find documentation about this  or about launchpad "best
> practices"?
>
> 2) I need to register as a  member of Bazaar Developers to work in the
> project?

Well, sort of. With Launchpad you can register a branch for any project,
whether or not you are a member. (This is sort of the whole idea of
Bazaar, that anyone can have full commit rights in their own sandbox).

If you register as part of "Bazaar Developers" you can close bugs,
assign bugs, update the "official" branch, etc, for anything that is
registered as "owned" by the "Bazaar Developers" group.

We also can easily create a new group just for 'bzr-eclipse' in case you
would rather have it as a separate group.

> 3) if the answer of 1) is yes, are any other things I need to do?

There shouldn't be.

> 4) I changed the layout of the packages in the new code base. Now it's
> seprated into two "Eclipse project's", one for the core and other for the UI.
> In a few days (or a week), I hope it' going to be ready to be uploaded to the
> main branch. I really appreciate some help abaout how to make this. here are
> my doubt's:
>   4.1) put the to "eclipse projects" under the same branch? or create a
> repository and two branch's, one for each "eclipse project"?
>
> I really appreciate some pointers about this issues, mainly because I'm a
> newbie with bazaar, launchpad, and this __kind__ of development.

I would tend to work on this as 1 branch. Because it is easier, and you
can always split things up later. (I don't expect this to get so big
that you might want to break it up ahead of time).

> PD: think that's all, but I'm in the middle of final exams, so I'ts probably i
> forgot something :P.

Good luck on your exams. Don't let us distract you (until after you finish).