Eclipse Support

Guillermo Gonzalez guillo.gonzo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:30:06 GMT 2007

On Monday 12, March 2007, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I went ahead and created a new "Project" for it in Launchpad, so that
> branches have something to be aggregated under.

Cool!, thanks John!

For a few days I have been trying to understand launchpad  :P
I' reading some doc's about how to host a branch in launchpad. I suppose this
is the way to go :)

[at the bottom I ask some questions about how to interact with launchpad]

> I know you have it marked as "Experimental", but I went ahead and
> created a ~bzr/bzr-eclipse/trunk branch. You are certainly welcome to
> modify that to whatever you are happy with. It just makes it easy to track.

I assume it's experimental, because I'm starting a new line of development
with some ideas/code from the eclipse plugin for darcs, which (in my opinion)
look's quite well.

> Also, I enabled the Launchpad bug tracker for the project. If you have a
> problem with any of these things, I'm happy to disable them. I just
> figured you didn't realize it was available, so figured I could help you
> out by setting them up.

I d'nt have any problem with this, actually, I've been digging in the
launchpad  documentation to do it, but did'nt really understand how to do
this, thanks!.

> Also, I'm not positive about the naming. We've generally followed the
> 'bzr-foo' name for a plugin named 'foo' which is a plugin for bzr.
>
> However this is a plugin for Eclipse. So maybe it should be
> 'eclipse-bzr'. Also, I named it Bazaar Eclipse Plugin. But you could
> also name it Eclipse Plugin for Bazaar. (English doesn't seem precise
> enough to indicate whether it is a bzr plugin to support Eclipse, or an
> Eclipse plugin to support Bazaar).
>
> You can change the title easily through this page:
> https://launchpad.net/bzr-eclipse/+edit
>
> To change the project name (bzr-eclipse) I think we have to ask a
> Launchpad admin. But I can do that if you want.

About the project name, eclipse-bzr looks ok, and bzr-eclipse it's ok too.
I'm open to change it (and the java package naming too).
Maybe the bazaar dev and user community has some good ideas/comment's about
this.
We can discuss about it in #bzr. what do you think?

Now, I really apreciate some links/help about how to work with launchpad and
the project.

1) how do you work with feature request/enhancements or ToDo's?
 1.1) I've used Trac, and usually create a ticket for each deature
request/enhancements. Is the same in launchpad?
 1.2) where can I find documentation about this  or about launchpad "best
practices"?

2) I need to register as a  member of Bazaar Developers to work in the
project?

3) if the answer of 1) is yes, are any other things I need to do?

4) I changed the layout of the packages in the new code base. Now it's
seprated into two "Eclipse project's", one for the core and other for the UI.
In a few days (or a week), I hope it' going to be ready to be uploaded to the
main branch. I really appreciate some help abaout how to make this. here are
my doubt's:
  4.1) put the to "eclipse projects" under the same branch? or create a
repository and two branch's, one for each "eclipse project"?

I really appreciate some pointers about this issues, mainly because I'm a
newbie with bazaar, launchpad, and this __kind__ of development.

PD: think that's all, but I'm in the middle of final exams, so I'ts probably i
forgot something :P.

--
Guillermo Gonzalez
JID: ggonzalez -AT- jabber -DOT- org