Unable to contact committer

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:14:29 GMT 2007

On 11/03/07, Joris Putcuyps <joris.putcuyps at skynet.be> wrote:
> Hello
>
> When a person commits changes, bzr attaches the committer's id.
> When this person changes his email address, all past commits have
> useless contact information!
>
> How can I prevent this?
> (Perhaps a separation of contacts and bzr tree, or version controlled
> contacts)

Hi Joris,

That's an interesting case.

This field is primarily an identifier for the person, rather than an
email address.  Some people use non-function addresses because they
consider their real address private.

So if they change address then it's still true that the commit was
made by the person called john at company.com, even if they left the
company, changed their name, or even died.

I suppose you could have a mapping from past addresses to current
address.  Can you tell me more about where you'd want to use it?

--
Martin