Bazaar summer-of-code - mentors, project ideas and students wanted

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Thu Mar 8 09:08:33 GMT 2007

Martin Pool пишет:
> I'd like Bazaar to offer Google summer-of-code again this year.  We
> had some success last year and I think can do even better this year by
> staying more closely in touch with our students.  We need to apply by
> Monday the 12th.
>
> At this point I'm looking for a list of people interested in
> mentoring, and perhaps to start a discussion about how we will
> organize the summer-of-code project.
>
> We are asked to provide a list of mentors on the application.  Being a
> mentor to a student is a significant commitment, but can be be very
> rewarding.  You don't need to make a final decision right now.  Of
> course everyone can help the students, not just the formal mentors.

I can mentoring project related to Windows.

Last year we start nice GUI, but it really need more polishing.
Many Windows users ask me about GUI.

I also have several ideas about possible interesting code projects:

1) mirror plugin or separate application: to provide feature of remote working tree.
This may be very interesting as the static HTML sites publishing tool,
i.e. anyone can keep the copy of their site at local computer, and easy publishing
documents via ftp/sftp to remote location. Also it should possible to sync
in reverse direction too: i.e. to pull changes from remote working tree to
local one. This is should not be too hard to implement, and therefore student have many
chances to complete it faster than in 3 months.

2) provide (plugin?) for bzr GUI for virtual filesystems: exploring remote "filesystem" via
sftp/ftp/http. It can be useful for push/pull/branch operations. Also sometimes it's good
to make transport for bzr to look inside zip/tar.gz archives and explore archived Bazaar
branches/repositories.

3) project configs in Bazaar (a-la CVS modules). When tags in repository was discussed I post
draft of concept of creating projects in the shared repository. Each project can contain
several branches. Then we can create project configs to make complex projects with many nested tree
is easy to manage and checkout. E.g. if I have some application 'spam' and 2 separate libraries
'foo' and 'bar' that used with this application, I can setup configuration of complex project
MYPROJ, that will contains info about all subprojects, and then easily checkout all subproject
together when I'm working on MYPROJ.

4) Plugin for FAR file manager (as another GUI).

Also we have many opened specifications, and little of win32 developers,
but working on spec is require too deep knowledge of bzrlib internals,
so it's not the good choice for students.

> Some folks have talked about having another European sprint some time
> soon; maybe we should time that to get the students along.

Cool. May be this time I'm also participate.

[µ]