Bazaar summer-of-code - mentors, project ideas and students wanted

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 04:45:49 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'd like Bazaar to offer Google summer-of-code again this year.  We
had some success last year and I think can do even better this year by
staying more closely in touch with our students.  We need to apply by
Monday the 12th.

At this point I'm looking for a list of people interested in
mentoring, and perhaps to start a discussion about how we will
organize the summer-of-code project.

We are asked to provide a list of mentors on the application.  Being a
mentor to a student is a significant commitment, but can be be very
rewarding.  You don't need to make a final decision right now.  Of
course everyone can help the students, not just the formal mentors.

  http://code.google.com/soc/

Google's main concern reflected in the application is that students
shouldn't drop out, which is understandable given there are many more
applications than scholarships available.  I think the key things are

 * choosing good projects clearly articulated, not requiring *too*
much knowledge of the guts, not likely to require extended debate,
cool or interesting, appropriately sized

 * reviewing and landing progress towards that goal in every cycle

 * actively mentoring the students - making a regular irc slot to meet with them

Some folks have talked about having another European sprint some time
soon; maybe we should time that to get the students along.

--
Martin