confusing messages

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Mar 1 18:32:48 GMT 2007

On (01/03/07 13:22), Sam Steingold wrote:
> I did "bzr revert" and now
> $ bzr status
> $ bzr update
> Tree is up to date at revision 136.
> $ bzr merge
> Merging from remembered location http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc/
> Nothing to do.
> $
>
> does this mean that my branch is now identical to http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc/?

Yes.

> all I want is an equivalent to "cvs update": I want to get a local copy
> of the upstream code.

'bzr pull' is your friend here. If all you do is 'bzr pull' then you
will always have a mirror of that branch.

If you also want to commit on this branch then you may have to merge
sometimes, however 'bzr pull' will tell you when this is the case.

If you want an even more CVS like workflow then try

  bzr bind http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc/

which will turn your branch in to a 'checkout' of the other branch. In
that case then 'bzr update' is exactly what you do to keep up to date.

If you do that then you wont be able to commit in the branch, but you
can make a local branch to do that.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256