RCS Comparison table and ease of use

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Fri Feb 9 11:49:46 GMT 2007

Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:20:48PM +0100, Nicholas Allen wrote:
>
>>  ...  But I agree that svn does not really
>> support this [tags]
>>

> I think that's overstating it.  SVN clearly does
> support tags.  You can argue with the niceness of the
> implementation, but they work for me.
I have updated the table to say that it has limited support with a
footnote explaining why I think it is not full tag support. Nearly every
version control system supports branching and so calling a branch the
same thing as a tag is twisting the meaning of tag quite a bit - in that
case every VCS supports tags including Bazaar and that would defeat the
usefulness of putting it in the table.

I have defined what I think a tag is and I hope that it is clear that
there is a difference between a tag and a branch. At least from a user's
perspective there is a clear difference. I am defining a tag is a
meaningful label that can be attached to a revision identifier and used
in place of that revision identifier (and so should be able to be used
as a command line argument wherever a revision identifier can be
specified). Subversion tags require that no developer commits to a
directory under "tags" (as really they are branches that no one should
commit too) and it is not possible to use the tag name as a label for a
revision in any command that takes a revision identifier.

For example I cannot do this in svn:

svn diff -r VERSION1_0:3425 svn://host/trunk/project

There is a workaround of course:

svn diff svn://host/tags/project/VERSION1_0 svn://host/trunk/project@3425

Nick