RCS Comparison table and ease of use

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Feb 9 09:09:50 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 01:47 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:20:48PM +0100, Nicholas Allen wrote:
> >>  ...  But I agree that svn does not really
> >> support this [tags]
> >
> > I think that's overstating it.  SVN clearly does
> > support tags.  You can argue with the niceness of the
> > implementation, but they work for me.
> Hey, I said I was being trollish.  Don't make me continue this line of
> discussion.  I will note though, that to the extent that SVN tags are
> just branches in a repository, Bazaar also supports doing tags as
> branches in a repository.  And yet, we still feel the desire to
> implement "real tags", as we conceive of them.
Just using branches as tags in a distributed vcs has the problem that
you have to explicitly copy over all the tags, whereas you'd want (at
least I'd like to in the use cases I have for tags) the tags to
propagate automatically when you run 'bzr branch'.

Subversion (with its limited scope, I may add) can only have the actual
branches exist in one place, so there's no need for tags to propagate.

Cheers,

Jelmer