[MERGE 2/3] Towards XML log output: Refactor LogFormatter

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Feb 4 11:59:28 GMT 2007

Robert Collins has voted -1.
Status is now: Vetoed
Comment:
I agree with Aaron here.  I think that this refactoring might be in the
wrong direction: The logic for choosing *what* to display should be
separate from *how* to display.

I suggest a LogGenerator class that has the *what* to display logic, and
uses a LogFormatter in much the same way it is now to perform the *how*
to display.

You'll want to add methods for handling end of data regions to
LogFormatter - thats fine, for API compatability, just handle their
absence by ignoring them - and emitting a deprecation warning :).

For details, see:
http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/request/%3C20061109183446.GA3516%40jameswestby.net%3E