merged latest fixes from bzr.0.14 branch

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jan 30 05:43:59 GMT 2007

On 26/01/2007, at 4:04am, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:

>>> I think, given the way we work now, this is not worth keeping.
>>> Being
>>> able to merge across is pretty useful.  Does anyone want to keep it?
>>
>> Yes, because until bzr has a 'mainline on this branch is precious'
>> flag,
>> its not unlikely that pull will be done at the wrong time into a
>> release
>> branch.

Well, I certainly see your point about not wanting to clobber a
branch that is meant to hold  a release.  Part of that is

  https://launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/73752
  "allow only append, not switching history"

and the new bug

   https://launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/82233
   protect against commit/change

That said, in our particular case it seems unlikely that someone
would accidentally overwrite a release branch, because they are
protected by pqm.  It might be good to make them physically readonly
after the release?  So I don't think the protection is worth the cost
of disallowing merges, or making them untracked.

> Well, once we have tags, we can simply tag the right revision.

That too.

--
Martin