[MERGE] Support for Putty SSH implementation

Robey Pointer robey at lag.net
Thu Jan 18 02:27:18 GMT 2007

On 17 Jan 2007, at 13:49, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Robey Pointer wrote:
>>
>> On 10 Jan 2007, at 9:03, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

>>> I don't think paramiko uses Openssh, bzr uses openssh and the passes
>>> that connection off to paramiko.
>>>
>>> Paramiko uses a "Transport" layer (which isn't a bzr Transport)
>>>
>>> which we hook into with SSHSubprocess.
>>
>> Yeah, that's correct, paramiko doesn't tie into any other
>> executables.
>> The idea was to be a pure-python implementation (except for pyCrypto,
>> which I incorrectly assumed was on track to migrate into python's
>> stdlib).
>>
>> But I'm happy to support using only the sftp layer, like bazaar
>> does if
>> it finds an ssh executable.
>>
>> robey
>>

> I thought pycrypto couldn't be included in the stdlib because of
> crypto
> export restrictions.
>
> My understanding of current US Export law is that you can export
> source
> code, but not compiled binaries. (Which is a big load of crock, but
> still).
>
> Now I realize that python may actually be hosted outside the US,
> but at
> least 'python.org' is registered in Ipswich, MA.

I'm sure it's something like that.  No doubt I was being overly
optimistic at the time.

> For "support using only the sftp layer" isn't that how we do it,
> just by
> passing in a Transport which is actually a SSHSubprocess?
>
> Are you thinking to bring that logic into paramiko itself?

Well, what I meant was I intend to *keep* supporting it. :)  The way
bazaar is using it (from memory) is to create an SFTPClient which
wraps a file-like object (the pipe to the ssh process), and that
seems like the right point of abstraction to me.  In more recent
versions of paramiko, I've added some code to better handle that
case, and I'm open to future improvements.

robey