Bazaar and Terminator

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Jan 5 12:29:27 GMT 2007

Nicholas Allen пишет:
> bzr can output to the terminal if I do something like bzr help, bzr
> status for example but bzr pull does not print anything or ask for
> password when pulling from an sftp server. In DOS prompt it says "Using
> saved location: ....." and then asks for password. In Terminator there
> is no output at all. It seems it is not possible to get input from the
> user in Terminator either. bzr must be waiting for the password and if I
> try to enter one the characters are printed on the terminal and hitting
> return does not cause bzr to continue (as it did in gnome-terminal on
> Cygwin). So this bug seems very similar but is not exactly the same as
> the gnome-terminal bug.

Aha. I understand now. This is because some output of bzr goes to stderr stream,
not to stdout. Some months ago I raise a discussion about this moment,
and Aaron Bentley convince me that it's the right thing.

But in reality many tools works differently with stderr, sometimes
one fact of presence something in stderr treats as program error,
even if program returns 0 when exits (WinScp plugin for FAR treats
any output to stderr as the program error flag).

About prompt for password: it's really not bzr issue, but instead
underlying Python libraries that works in assumption that
Python script running on Windows works inside standard windows
console. Fixing this is really non-trivial work, especially
because of too many bzr developers use Windows and non-standard
shell on Windows.

So I think right answer on your issue -- it's a using GUI.
I'm very like to running gcommit and gannotate commands
from inside FAR file manager (it's my working environment).
Even from FTE editor (with console interface).

I think adding gpush and gpull command that provide decent
password prompt in GUI window is the answer.

- --
Alexander

P.S. Do you try FAR?