observation: mercurial on win32

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Thu Dec 21 08:08:36 GMT 2006

>>>>> "bialix" == Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> writes:

<snip/>

    bialix> Guys from Mercurial team use specific environment
    bialix> with msys (I don't know what is it).

http://www.mingw.org/

You can think of it as a cygwin "light". I.e. it does not come
with all the unix utilities but provides gcc and the minimum a
*developer* can ask for.

    bialix> Why for they packed patch.exe utility to their
    bialix> windows installer -- I don't know, because it's won't
    bialix> working without msys-0.dll (again, I don't know what
    bialix> is it and why for is it).

msys.dll ~= cygwin.dll (or whatever the name is these days).

<snip/>

    bialix> And bzr's support of win32 is better. Comparing to hg
    bialix> (or git) it's superior.

They don't have an Alexander ;)

     Vincent