[rfc] many SFTP tests failed on win32 with Permission denied error

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 7 21:18:14 GMT 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>     self.transport.rename(self._held_dir, tmpname)
>   File "D:\Bazaar\sandbox\selftest.fixes\bzrlib\transport\sftp.py", line
> 737, in rename
>     ': unable to rename to %r' % (rel_to))
>   File "D:\Bazaar\sandbox\selftest.fixes\bzrlib\transport\sftp.py", line
> 699, in _translate_io_exception
>     self._translate_error(e, path, raise_generic=False)
>   File "D:\Bazaar\sandbox\selftest.fixes\bzrlib\transport\__init__.py",
> line 241, in _translate_error
>     raise errors.PermissionDenied(path, extra=e)
> PermissionDenied: Permission denied: 'branch-lock/held': [Errno 13]
> Permission denied

> What this error means?
> Any suggestions how to fix it?
>
> Alexander

It seems to be failing to rename the temporary directory to lock/held.
Though I'm not sure why. I can say that most likely it is a problem that
the sftp server is sill holding on to the lock/pending-XXYYZZ/info file,
and until that file is closed it won't allow you to remname the pending
directory.

Otherwise it might be that 'lock/held/' already exists. But my guess is
that it doesn't.

The sftp tranport code seems to be explicitly calling file.close() so I
don't really know why the server would keep the file open.

Maybe it is something to do with your version of paramiko. Have you
tried other versions?