Improving the distro packaging and installation experience

Eugene Wee eugenew at starhub.net.sg
Tue Dec 5 17:51:19 GMT 2006

Hi,

> For Windows, this is now pretty straightforward, though the fact that
> there are two installers is an unnecessary (IMO) complication. I would
> like to move the instructions for the Python-based Windows installer to
> the from-source-installation page, any objections on that front? Is the
> Python-based install a very popular option?

 From what I understand, the Python-based Windows installer is necessary for the
use of plugins, including the bzr-gtk plugin that contains the Olive GUI that
Windows users might use.

The standalone installer simplifies the installation, especially for new Windows
users. I personally use the Python-based Windows installer on Windows XP, but
plan to introduce Bazaar to my fellow university students via the standalone
installer.

I think the current arrangement of saying: "This is the easiest way to install
JUST Bazaar if you don't already have Python AND you won't want to try any
Bazaar plugins. If you have Python 2.4 installed, or want to try plugins, please
use the Python-based installer linked to below." is pretty good.

Regards,
Eugene Wee