Versioned Folders in Gnome

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon Oct 30 20:54:35 GMT 2006

Myself and Henrik were talking the other day. We're increasingly needing
a place to store our graphics files so that we can share them with each
other. Additionally, now that we have Christina, it would be nice if we
could get her to use such a system as well.

While I'm comfortable with a command line, Henrik would prefer a
graphical environment. Likewise, I suspect Christina would as well. I'll
admit, if I have the choice between the two, I'd probably use the
graphical environment too.

Do you know a way to setup a folder on our desktop or home directory
that would automatically synchronize between us? Chances of us working
on the same file w/out communication are pretty slim. Because of time
zone differences, the main benefit is not having to ask each other where
the work is. Just create and work like normal and have our changes
replicated over to the others' computers automagically. It does not need
to be instantaneous, so its fine if it were run by cron hourly or
something like that.

With images, like code, its really nice to be able to look at version
history, but we don't need that functionality from the desktop. It would
be perfectly suitable for us to do this type of thing via a webpage
since its not done nearly as often.

As a concession, if the sync needed to be triggered by right clicking on
something, that would be OK. It may actually be a benefit as our image
files can be quite big, and we may get surprised if our computer
suddenly starts uploading a 10MB file.

The only parallels I know of are something like either TortoiseCVS,
which is a windows tool I've recommended to many people and works quite
well, or something like Subversion's webdav mode that would allow
accessing files using Gnome's VFS support for webdav.

Just a note, while I use SVG quite a bit, a majority of the work is
still PNG, PSD and other binary formats.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode