[MERGE][0.12] Don't run big bundle tests

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 27 22:34:06 BST 2006

The attached patch cleans up some of our benchmarks. Carl Friedrich Bolz
did what we asked when we asked for a bunch of benchmarks for bundles,
but we didn't realize what we were asking for. On our benchmark machine,
test_many_files_big_tree_1000_revision takes something like 40 hours to
run once. Which is way outside the realm of practicality. Especially
since we really want to be running all of the benchmarks several times
for each revision, so we can monitor our performance progress.

Anyway, I'm attaching 2 bundles. The first one removes the really slow
tests (1000 revisions).

The second one removes some of the intermediate tests. On my machine
(which is a bit faster) they take around 30 minutes each. And looking at
our commit rate we have almost 100 mainline commits per month. Since we
want to run the benchmark suite about 10 times to ignore noise, that
means we would like the benchmark suite to finish in less than 40
minutes, or it will never be able to catch up.

So I'm not settled on removing the second set, but I'm thinking it would
be good.

Also, I'm thinking to backport these to 0.12, along with the copyright
fix, and the fixes for importing the right read_bundle(). None of them
are big enough alone to merit an 0.12rc2, but all together I think it is
worth it. Though I'd like to get approval first.