VCS comparison table

Jeff King peff at peff.net
Thu Oct 26 11:10:38 BST 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 05:57:20PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:

> >If you two have the same commit that is a guarantee that you two
> >have identical trees.  The reverse is not true as logic 101
> >would teach ;-).
>
> That was the point I was trying to make.  Carl asserted that in git
> you could tell if you had the same tree as someone else based on
> revision IDs, which doesn't seem to be the case all the time.

If you have the same revision (commit IDs), you have the same tree (at
the same time, by the same committer, etc).

If you have a different revision (commit), you may or may not have the
same tree. You can then check the tree id, which will either be the same
(you have the same tree) or differ (you don't).

Thus, in the converse, if you have the same tree, you _will_ have the
same tree id. You may or may not have the same commit id.

-Peff