VCS comparison table

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 16:04:11 BST 2006

Erik Bågfors wrote:

> On 10/22/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
>>
>>         git log --no-merges mainline..featureA
>>
>> The mainline..featureA syntax literally just means:
>>
>>         the set of commits that are reachable by featureA
>>         and excluding the set of commits reachable by mainline

[...]
>> And this syntax is almost universally accepted by git commands. so you
>> can visualize a chunk of the DAG with:
>>
>>         gitk mainline..featureA
>>
>> Or export it as patches with:
>>
>>         git format-patch mainline..featureA
>>
>> I haven't been able to find something similar in bzr yet. Does it
>> exist?
>
> If I understand you correctly, you'll get the same thing with "bzr missing".
>
> $ bzr missing ../mainline/
> You have 1 extra revision(s):
> revno: 2
> committer: Erik Bågfors <erik at bagfors.nu>
> branch nick: newbranch
> timestamp: Sun 2006-10-22 16:43:10 +0200
> message:
>   hepp
>

> You are missing 1 revision(s):
> revno: 2
> committer: Erik Bågfors <erik at bagfors.nu>
> branch nick: mainline
> timestamp: Sun 2006-10-22 16:42:53 +0200
> message:
>   hej

That is (roughly) equivalent of
  $ git log mainline...featureA
(which would give all commits which are _either_ in mainline,
xor in featureA, although not separated; --topo-order might help), or
  $ git show-branch mainline featureA

> You can also run "bzr missing" with "--theirs-only" or "--mine-only"
> to get only one way.

That would be equivalent of
  $ git log mainline..featureA
(--theirs-only), or
  $ git log featureA..mainline
(--mine-only).

> To get the patches you can run "bzr bundle ../mainline", but then
> we're back to the discussion that it currently gives a "big patch" for
> viewing, but when you merge it, you get each revision separately.

What about
  $ gitk mainline..featureA
i.e. showing selected part of DAG in graphical history viewer?

And of course syntax is even more powerfull, e.g.
  $ git log maint master --not next
--
Jakub Narebski
Poland