VCS comparison table

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 15:48:11 BST 2006

Thanks for this mail, this makes me happy to see. The tools are pretty
much the same but have some different view on how to do things..

On 10/22/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

>         git log --no-merges mainline..featureA
>
> The mainline..featureA syntax literally just means:
>
>         the set of commits that are reachable by featureA
>         and excluding the set of commits reachable by mainline
>
> It's an extraordinarily powerful thing to say, and its exactly what
> you want here. And it's more than a "show mainline" thing, since
> theses sets of commits can consist of arbitrarily complex DAG
> subsets. This syntax is just a really useful way to slice up the DAG.
>
> And this syntax is almost universally accepted by git commands. so you
> can visualize a chunk of the DAG with:
>
>         gitk mainline..featureA
>
> Or export it as patches with:
>
>         git format-patch mainline..featureA
>
> I haven't been able to find something similar in bzr yet. Does it
> exist?

If I understand you correctly, you'll get the same thing with "bzr missing".

$ bzr missing ../mainline/
You have 1 extra revision(s):
revno: 2
committer: Erik Bågfors <erik at bagfors.nu>
branch nick: newbranch
timestamp: Sun 2006-10-22 16:43:10 +0200
message:
  hepp

You are missing 1 revision(s):
revno: 2
committer: Erik Bågfors <erik at bagfors.nu>
branch nick: mainline
timestamp: Sun 2006-10-22 16:42:53 +0200
message:
  hej

You can also run "bzr missing" with "--theirs-only" or "--mine-only"
to get only one way.

To get the patches you can run "bzr bundle ../mainline", but then
we're back to the discussion that it currently gives a "big patch" for
viewing, but when you merge it, you get each revision separately.

/Erik