VCS comparison table

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Sun Oct 22 00:58:56 BST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And that work-flow is definitely not "distributed" it's much closer to
> "disconnected centralized".

Side note: the only reason I think that distinction is worth making at all
is when comparing git to bzr, and even then this is a fairly subtle
distinction, and probably not a huge deal in practice.

I obviously think git is a nicer distributed design, but in the end, if
you compare to something like CVS or SVN that isn't even disconnected, the
difference between git and bzr in this sense is basically zero.

So I sound like I care, but at the same time, I realize very well that
when coming from a totally centralized world, the details we're arguing
are _so_ not important.

			Linus