[ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 20 16:37:12 BST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:03:16 -0400
Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> In Bazaar bundles, the text of the diff is an integral part of the data.
> It is used to generate the text of all the files in the revision.
>
> Bazaar bundles were designed to be used on mailing lists.  So you can
> review the changes from the diff, comment on them, and if it seems
> suitable, merge them.

Perhaps I missed something in the earlier mails about this feature.
As I understood it, the email sent has a combined diff that shows
the net effect of all the commits included in the bundle.  (Whereas
the current Cogito version only shows a diffstat)

If the recipient of such a bundle is unable to extract the diff of
each separate commit included in the bundle then I can't see any
value in the feature at all.  But showing a combined diff in the
email may have marginal value, so long as when the bundle is
imported into the recipient repository the individual commits
are available.

> It's my understanding that most changes discussed on lkml are provided
> as a series of patches.  Bazaar bundles are intended as a direct
> replacement for patches in that use case.

A combined diff of a bunch of changes would usually be most _unwelcome_
for review on lkml.  The constant refrain is to ask people to split their
changes up into smallish individual patches for review.

Sean