[patch]bug 32054 if commit fails commit message draft is lost

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Oct 19 03:52:51 BST 2006

On 18 Oct 2006, Cheuksan Edward Wang <wang02139 at gmail.com> wrote:
>      2) If the Unicode commit message isn't valid in
>      'bzrlib.user_encoding()', that is okay, we don't try to save it if we
>      can't. I don't really want to see us use "replace" because then we have
>      generated a corrupted message. Though it is a judgment call whether it
>      is better to save most of the message even if some of the characters are
>      incorrect.
>
>    I think it's more user-friendly to save most of the message even if some
>    of the characters are incorrect. The main purpose of this patch is to save
>    some typing if a commit fails.

If the choice is between saving something and not saving it at all, then
I'd rather the first.  I wouldn't veto that.

As an extreme case if someone tries to commit non-latin text on a
misconfigured machine they will end up with a file full of question
marks, which would be a bit wierd.

However, since we originally got the message as a byte stream from the
command line or the tempfile I don't see why we need to go through lossy
conversion at all.

--
Martin