GPL not a EULA?

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Sun Oct 15 23:56:21 BST 2006

To help substantiate the point that the GPL is not an EULA (section 0,
paragraph 2):

  Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
  covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of running
  the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program is
  covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the Program
  (independent of having been made by running the Program).  Whether that
  is true depends on what the Program does.

The bottom of the GPLv2 text has the following suggestion:

 Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
   under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
   Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
   option) any later version.

   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston,
   MA 02111-1307, USA.

--
My home page:   <a href="http://jblack.linuxguru.net">James Blackwell</a>
Gnupg 06357400  F-print AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400