GPL not a EULA?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Oct 11 10:33:38 BST 2006

On 11 Oct 2006, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
> Martin Pool пишет:
> >On 11 Oct 2006, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Before turningv on License page in the installer I ask Martin Pool for
> >>this and he was positive. I think I saw at least one open source program
> >>that have analogical license page in their installers -- it's OpenOffice
> >>(IIRC).
> >
> >That's true.  I think Lachlan's point is just about whether it's
> >appropriate to ask people to "accept" the licence, or perhaps just to
> >"acknowledge" it or display the message.
> >
> >I think we should show it; it's what people expect in these installers.
> >I'm open to suggestions on how the button should be labelled.

According to the FSF

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ClickThrough

$$ Some software packaging systems have a place which requires you to
$$ click through or otherwise indicate assent to the terms of the GPL. This
$$ is neither required nor forbidden. With or without a click through, the
$$ GPL's rules remain the same.

In my experience it's standard practice for windows installers to say
something about the licence.  Whether we personally prefer linux-style
"just do it" installers is not so relevant.

--
Martin