Repository layout and re-arranging

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Sun Oct 1 20:32:50 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a re-arrange of my bzr repositories and would
appreciate some feedback/help.

At the moment I have a bzr repository at ~/Programming/cvs/postr that
contains the source of Postr (my Flickr uploader).  To share that
repository to the world I push it to ~/htdocs/bzr/postr, that gets
rsynced periodically to my web server.  That worked fine when I was the
only maintainer and I got a few patches, but now I want to have multiple
branches (stable/development).

I've read about using bzr init-repo to create a repository which shared
data from multiple branches, then creating two branches with bzr init,
something like this:

$ cd ~/htdocs/bzr/
$ bzr init-repo postr
$ cd postr
$ bzr init postr.dev

Note how the repository is in my htdocs so others can branch it.  I'd
then do a *checkout* of postr.dev to my work directory and branch it to
postr.stable when I want to maintain a stable branch.

Does this seem reasonable?  I'm not over-complicating anything am I?

Assuming this is reasonable, I have one important question: how do I
import all of the history that is currently in my postr repository into
the new postr.dev branch?

Thanks,
Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com