[MERGE] Pretty docs with Kid

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 29 22:57:09 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>> 2) Please don't strip all the <a> tags. We may need to update the
>>> stylesheet, but it is *really* nice to reference a specific subsection.
>>> http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr-0.11/configuration.htm#location-of-configuration-file
>
> Oh, I agree.  But Matt doesn't seem to have made any updates in some
> time, and there's a long list of requests:
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrWebsiteComments

I just talked to Matt, and it seems he just needs to put that page back
on his TODO list. He has a few things to work on first, but he should be
able to get to that.

He also asked that you send him a link to an example of the <a> tag
being incorrect, so that he can track down the problem.

> Anyhow, it was partly to show that kid is powerful enough to do this.
> There are other ways.  Inline syle attributes, inline stylesheets, etc.
>
>>> 3) What inappropriate links?
>
> - AaronBentley
> - User Preferences
> - FindPage
> - RecentChanges
> - Edit Page
> - Page History
> - Subscribe
> - More Actions

I suppose EditPage and some of those are invalid, but as long as
AaronBentley points to a reasonable place, it seems valid if we are
going to make it look like the wiki, you should be able to navigate into
the wiki.

>>> The reason the links are '.htm' is because that is what is generated. I
>>> assume because Alexander is more used to Windows development where .htm
>>> is frequently preferred to .html. But if you look at the website: 'make
>>> html-docs' generates:
>>> http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr-0.11/configuration.htm
>
> Right.  I had anticipated that 'make pretty-html-docs' would generate
> 'configuration.html', so that the two sets of docs could coexist.

Having 2 sets of documentation that only differ because of .htm versus
.html seems a little broken.

>>> I also think the Wiki css is probably nicer than our customized css in
>>> general. We probably should copy it across, so that standalone
>>> documentation gets the same css. (Especially since Alexander bundles the
>>> documentation with his Windows Installer).
>
> I don't know how well that would work, but I guess we could try it.
>
> Aaron

I guess I don't really know what steps you are doing to create this. Do
you have a local copy of the CSS, or are you somehow connecting to the
wiki to get its version?