Interested in Participating

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Sep 29 15:31:50 BST 2006

>> Well, the idea is that bzr is new and moving quickly today. The
>> assumption is that people willing to install version 0.something of a
>> piece of software will have no problem in installing a relatively
>> recent version of Python. OTOH, when bzr reaches a stable version, it
>> should have only very common dependancies, and allow people to update
>> without upgrading their system completely. 2.4 is a reasonable choice
>> to me (it's in all stable GNU/Linux distros I know).

If the question is GNU/Linux (or UNIX-flavor) systems, you can run bzr
without having the default system python be the one that bzr invokes.
I've run into problems where people are using one rather notable and
stable distro: RHEL4, which is python 2.3.4 and cannot be reasonably
upgraded because python is wired into so much of the sysadmin stuff.
But it works fine to use a separate python for bzr.