Corrupted repo

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 22 00:57:12 BST 2006

Andrew King wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, however I still
> think it is a fairly important bug or race condition somewhere .... the
> last use of break lock on the main repo was over a week ago (and that
> only has been done once), and I have checked and no one used it yesterday.
>
> I fixed the problem, by copying another version of the repo's copy of
> that index and knit file over the top ... This worked, and people were
> then able to check out again.
>
> I can give you both versions of the kndx and knit files if you want,
> although it will just tell you what you already know I think. Is there a
> log somewhere of all operations on the repo?
>
> People were just pulling and pushing from the repo, using sftp transport
> and file transport from linux and windows clients. All clients were bzr
> 0.10. Repo is bzr 0.10. There were some fairly heavy add/removes going on.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

If it was an older format, I could see having race conditions (sftp
locks were different than local locks in bzr-0.7). But that hasn't been
the case for any of the metadir (newer than 0.7) formats.

Go ahead and send me copies of the .kn* files, just in case there is a clue.

Unfortunately, no, we don't have any sort of log of changes, other than
looking through everyone's ~/.bzr.log files :)

We have worked quite hard on the model to prevent any sort of breakage
outside of a broken lock. Is the project public at all?

What I'm also curious about is the commit logs for the involved
revisions, which might indicate what sort of concurrency was being
attempted. (Why were 2 people modifying the same file, and why doesn't
the repo care that one of them has now been removed).