Boolean option names (was: reverse merge....)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 12 00:42:29 BST 2006

"Erik Bågfors" <zindar at gmail.com> writes:

> > Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:
> > > cd trunk
> > > hack hack; commit; commit
> > > bzr update
> > > bzr commit --no-local
>
> This should work.... very close to the right thing.  Didn't remember
> we now have "--no-" for everything, very nice.

Which raises a UI issue. Surely an option named "--no-local" states
that bzr should *not* commit to the local branch at all. And yet,
"--no-local" does so; it just happens to also commit to a remote
branch.

Do we now need to be very careful in naming (boolean) options, to
ensure that "--foo" and "--no-foo" have the desired semantics?

Do we now have to go through the existing boolean option names to
ensure this holds true?

--
 \         "I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, |
  `\      when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still |