[MERGE] Deprecate last-revision and pending_merges.

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 8 00:06:44 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 19:49 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>>> I feel quite strongly that the following combination is OK:
>>>  * the implicit root tree has no parents.
>>>  * last_revision/basis_revision/basis_tree on the implicit root
>> throws
>>>  * a new WorkingTree has a basis which is the implicit root
>> I think that combination would be good - safe, but also simple in the
>> common case.  So are you OK to leave last_revision as is until those
>> changes are in place?
>
> Yes. I think my point was that I'd rather leave last_revision as is
> until we can do basis_revision as i describe above, rather than brining
> in basis_revision which is no better than last_revision.
>
> I'll remove the deprecation for last_revision, but not pending_merges -
> does that have everyones agreement ?
>
> -Rob

Honestly I think last_revision is the wrong name for both objects. Since
for a Branch it means 'tip_revision' (so 'last' means the one that comes
after all the others), but for a WorkingTree it means
'previous_revision' (so 'last' means the one just before this).

Also, your original patch didn't actually include the TreeBuilder class.
(I just realized I wanted to see what it did, but couldn't find it
anywhere). You may want to add the alias:

commit=commit --strict

Now that Aaron's optparse changes have been merged, you can even do:

bzr commit --no-strict -m foo

To override it.

Anyway, I'm fine with your changes.