[MERGE/RFC] Dotted-decimal revision numbers in 'bzr log'

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Sep 7 19:33:01 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> This adds the dotted decimal revision numbers merge_sorted can create
> into the output of log.
>
> There are a couple of gotchas, which I will add to NEWS before merging
> [assuming approval ;)] - I forgot to do so when writing the NEWS entry.

So with all this discussion, I think it is still worthwhile to bring it
in. I think it is something that should be pulled in early on a release
cycle, rather than later, so we can have some time to decide if we like
it or not.

My concerns-

1) I'm concerned about the performance impact on merge_sorted. If you
have it disabled, does it still cause performance issues, or is it only
when get_revno = True?

This is a general concern about our algorithm, though, since we require
a full ancestry for all of our merge code. We don't want
bzr log -r 100000..100010 to take a super long time, when we are only
displaying a few revisions.

Also, how would something like this interact with a shallow checkout?

2) There are a few typos in the diff. Nothing serious, and I think
Martin caught the ones I really care about.

3) It does raise the question of whether we want 'bzr branch' to act
just like cp -a. I know we've discussed it, and that is our current
design. But there are some advantages if doing 'bzr branch' actually set
a checkpoint in the branch, indicating it is a new branch, that starts a
different line. 'pull' would reset that marker.

Just a thought.